Germany – the Best Destination for Masters Abroad
For Indian students looking masters abroad, Germany is the first choice. There are a number of favourable reasons behind this choice. Some interesting facts, figures, and of course the education quality are the major attractions for students from the different regions in the world.
The importance of doing a Masters in Germany is limitless. Hence, Students from India choose to do their Masters in the different fields from the German-based colleges, universities run by the local administration or the private players in the education sector.
A Brief Intake on Masters in Germany
Let us here know more about the country, education, Master Programme, and other related factors in brief.
Germany is a great nation with the beautiful landscape of dense forests, big and small rivers, high mountain ranges, the North Sea beaches, and more which makes the country, one of the famous tourist attractions across the world. Germany is one of Europe’s largest countries that encompass a wide variety of landscapes, from tall, sheer mountains to plains in the north.
There are many more things which you can explore while coming to Germany. Besides being a popular tourist destination, the education system in Germany is also popular especially among the Indian students who are looking for doing masters in Germany. Every year, German universities or higher learning institutes feature in top place in world university rankings.
There are more than 400 higher learning institutes that are located across Germany offering quality education to eligible students. Most of these universities/ institutes offer around more than 1,000 English-taught study programmes so that international students do not face any kind of difficulty while doing various masters’ courses in Germany.
Reasons to Study Masters in Germany
- One of the most important reasons to study Masters in Germany is the availability of the lowest fees college and universities welcoming international students looking for completing Masters Course from Germany.
- The country has much-renowned public and private universities located across Germany from where the students can do masters in various areas of specialisation.
- Germany has 4 universities that are ranked in the top 100 and 14 universities in the top 200 worldwide universities thus inspiring young aspirants to continue their studies from there.
- No entrance exam, all those students who meet eligibility criteria can get direct admission.
- Students don’t have to compromise with their eating habits while studying in Germany. Indian delicious food items are provided to Indian students missing their staple diet with an option to try international food as well.
- There is no need to pay any kind of donation in order to get admission to a university that offers master courses to the students looking for higher studies.
- The medium of language will be English so that the students coming from other countries can understand courses being taught in the classrooms.
Advantages of Studying Masters in Germany
- Most of the colleges and universities are approved and accredited by the national and international agencies.
- There are almost 427 state-accredited universities is located in 180 towns and cities around Germany. Together, these universities offer more than 18,000 -degree programmes in which both national and international students are eligible to apply.
- The ideal course structure is provided to the students so that they can easily understand the course content.
- The low tuition fees for the international studies need many international students to complete higher studies from Germany.
- A world-class education is offered so that the learners can become leaders of tomorrow.
- The students get the best hostels and facilities to stay in.
- The students get direct admission without paying huge chunks in the form of donations.
- Medium of study is English for international students. Apart from this, the international students can also opt for the 18-month post-study permit allowing them to apply for jobs in the country as well post completing their degree.
- The application process is quick and free from hassle.
Eligibility Criteria for Admission
- Basic Eligibility – Applicants must have more than 75% in their undergraduate from a government recognized educational institution.
- Exams – For the good hold on language a candidate need to crack the exams including TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) and IELTS (The International English Language Testing System, and GMAT (The Graduate Management Admission Test) or GRE (The Graduate Record Examinations)
- Duration of Course – the course duration ranges from 1.5 to 2 years
- Tuition fee – the course fee varies from university to university. There is almost no tuition fee at public universities in Germany.
- Medium of Instruction – English for international students
Duration of Course
The complete duration of doing Masters in Germany is almost two years where during the first few months, classroom studies are offered to the students. During the last months, the students will be provided various different internship opportunities as well so that they can have real-life work experience.
Beneath documents are needed for doing Masters in Germany:
- Filled Application Form
- Passport size photographs
- Mark sheets of class 11 and 12
- Certificates of class 11 and 12
- College degree
- School leaving certificate
- Scanned copy of a valid passport including image
- Extra-curricular activities if any
- All the documents must be attested by the relevant authorities
- The students who plan to get admission to a college or university for doing Masters in Germany can apply online. The application forms are generally made available in the month of August and September.
- Check for the admission requirement of a particular college/university you are planning to get admission.
- If you meet the eligibility criteria, select the programme of your interest and fill the application form.
- Duly filled and signed application form can be submitted online
- A copy of a personal profile is required
- Two letters of recommendation
- Transcripts, official copies of your transcripts from each institution attended for college credit
- The international students should also have a minimum 3.0 GPA, though the students can still apply if they do not meet the minimum requirement for the GPA
- For all the non-native English language speakers test record of TOEFL or IELTS is a must in a few universities abroad
- Essays (one required, one optional)
- Application fee which needs to be deposited at the time of application varies from university to university
- All certificates must be attested by any competent or recognized authority
- All the documents must be duly signed and attested by Gazetted Officer
- The university will send you a confirmation letter post-checking your submitted documents.
Regarding filling of the application forms: Most of the German universities use a mutual platform known as UniAssist.de to ensure hassle-free filling of the application form. The students can create a personal account, choose their favourite master’s course and can upload scanned application documents over there.
Note: Some of the universities run their own online application platform and want students to submit their application over there only. The students can get more information about it by visiting a specific university website they are considering for admission to a Master Degree programme in a German education institution.
Intakes for Studying Masters in Germany
For studying Maters in Germany, the students have to be very particular about the application deadline of particular universities they are planning to get admission.
Generally, the application process begins in the months of July and international students are motivated to apply at the earliest as visa processing also takes some time. Some universities also offer early-bird discounts to international students for early admission.
Visa Requirements for Study in Germany
The international students need to get a student VISA in order to enter Germany and VISA is issued at the time of arrival. The concerned embassy offering Visa need to check the documents that can support financials sources to back the hassle-free master’s study in Germany. If you are not an EU student, you need to pay Euro 90 for your student visa.
Documentation for Visa Application
The following documents are mandatory for the Visa application:
- Filled visa application form
- Valid passport of the applicant
- Latest passport sized photographs
- The students need an F-1 visa
- Letter of admission issued by the university
- Physical examination form or the health check-up form
Essential Financials for Masters in Germany
Arranging the required finance to support studies abroad is necessary. The financials include tuition fee, food expenses, accommodation expenses, insurance, medical, transportation, etc.
A bank statement having the recommended balance needs to be produced as a supporting document for the available financials.
Types of Popular Universities offering Master’ Degrees in Germany
There are four types of higher education in Germany. They are as described below:
Research Universities – The higher education institutions provide facilities and academic expertise to the students who are looking for doing Master’s and Ph. D. Most of the Research Universities are publicly administered.
Technical Universities – These universities are more focused on offering education in science, technology, and engineering disciplines.
Universities Related to Technology
- Chemnitz University of Technology
- Clausthal University of Technology
- Hamburg University of Technology
- Ilmenau University of Technology
- Technical University of Dortmund
- Brandenburg University of Technology
- Karlsruhe Institute of Technology
- Technical University of Munich
- Darmstadt University of Technology
- University of Hanover
- Freiberg University of Mining and Technology
- RWTH Aachen University
- Technical University of Berlin
- Braunschweig University of Technology
- Kaiserslautern University of Technology
- Technical University of Cologne
Universities of Applied Sciences – are focused on providing training related to engineering, business, and social sciences course. A great number of Universities of Applied Sciences are private institutions located in Germany.
Colleges of Art, Film, and Music – are specialized in offering instructions in the creative disciplines to the aspiring students. They can be part of both, Research Universities or Universities of Applied Sciences while some universities operate independently as well.
Popular Universities in Germany for Masters Course
- Berlin University of the Arts
- Ruhr University Bochum
- University of Gottingen
- University of Greifswald
- Technical University of Dortmund
- University of Giessen
- Catholic University of Applied Sciences Freiburg
- Catholic University of Eichstätt-Ingolstadt
- Dresden University of Technology
- Jacobs University Bremen
- University of HeilbronnI–N
- University of Regensburg
- University of Trier
- University of Rostock
- University of Siegen
- University of Stuttgart
- University of Hagen (open university)
- University of Halle-Wittenberg
- University of Hamburg
- ESCP Europe Wirtschaftshochschule Berlin
- Free University of Berlin
- Humboldt University of Berlin
- University of Hannover
- University of Heidelberg
- University of Tubingen
The application process for studying Master in Germany is as follows:
- First of all the students have to find a Study Programme that matches their area of interest.
- Make sure that you meet all the requirements and are eligible to apply.
- Start learning the English Language so that you can score good marks in TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) or IELTS (The International English Language Testing System) which is a pre-requisite to get admission in Germany.
- Also, your GMAT (The Graduate Management Admission Test) or GRE (The Graduate Record Examinations) score will be considered by the university or college you are applying at.
- You need to arrange enough financial resources to continue your studies and living in Germany, besides a bank statement of your finance is also needed.
- Once you have all the resources ready and your eligibility matches the required one, you can apply for the desired course admission.
- Complete all the formalities related to getting a student VISA and work Visa as well while studying at Germany.
- The next look is for the accommodation option. Almost all the universities located in Germany offer hostel facilities to international students. Apart from that, students can also look for off-campus accommodation as well.
- Once all the formalities and admission procedure is completed, students can start with the process of flying to Germany for doing master’s programme.
Cost of Living in Germany
The cost of living in Germany for international students varies from one city to another and expenses are slightly higher in cities like Munich. There are various different expenses that an international student needs to take care of while studying in Germany.
A brief detail of the expenses are listed below:
|Rent||The rent for a shared flat range between Euro 260 and Euro 300, while the student hall of residence is inexpensive as compared to other sources. The expenses vary between Euro 220 and Euro 250 and for a single bedroom apartment, the rent ranges from Euro 500 to Euro 580.|
|Telephone and Internet||Euro 25-35|
|Study materials||Euro 15-25|
|Leisure activities||Euro 55-65|
|Health insurance||Euro 80|
Part Time Jobs Option in Germany
There are various different employment opportunities for international students in Germany. The students can get engaged in part-time jobs along with pursuing their higher studies in order to meet up with the living expenses along with getting some real work experience as well. Also, most of the universities offer various kinds of campus placements and gives placement related assistance to the students.
Side by side, the students can also look for various job opportunities which are relevant to their qualification.
Employment Opportunities in Germany
The employment opportunities in Germany are mostly available in below- mentioned domains:
- Engineering – There are various technology-driven companies in Germany that provide employment opportunities to engineering graduates.
- Medicine – Since there is a huge demand for qualified medical professionals in Germany, so the students who have completed a master’s in medicine can have a great career.
- IT, Technology and Scientific Experts
- Education and Training
Why Learn the German Language?
Better to Learn the German Language Before Traveling to Germany
There are various universities in Germany that offer English language courses to international students and the students need to score high in IELTS/TOEFL exam which is mandatory to get admission to the universities located in Germany.
Even if international students are studying in Germany in English, it’s recommended to learn the basics of the German language so that communicating with the locals become easy and even chances of getting a job in Germany increases.
Scholarships in Germany
There are various different kinds of scholarships available for international students who plan to do masters in Germany.
Government-Funded Scholarships are:
- DAAD Scholarships
- Erasmus Scholarships
Non-Government Scholarships are:
- Einstein International Postdoctoral
- Heinrich Boll Scholarships for International Students
- Kurt Hansen Science Scholarships
Besides, there are many other types of Scholarships that are offered by different colleges and universities to the students who plan to do master’ in Germany.
Also, various universities offer early bird discount to international students in case they plan their admission early. Also, RBI Bank gives loan up to INR 15-20 lakh for higher education especially to the students who are looking to do master’s abroad.
Indian Students in Germany
Since Germany has been one of the favourite study destinations for Masters, you will find many Indian students enrolled in the different German educational institutions.
You will feel good having Indian friends, seniors around you ready to help you as and when required.
Hence, pursuing Masters in Germany is the right decision.
Germany at a Glance
|Territory||357,386 square kilometres (137,988 sq. mi)|
|Currency:||European dollar (Euro)|
|Some popular universities||the University of Tubingen, LMU Munich, University of Konstanz, RWTH Aachen, FU Berlin, Heidelberg University, University of Freiburg, the University of Konstanz, TU Dresden, and the Technical University of Munich|
|Country Rank (2018):||58|
Key Facts About Germany
and largest city
and national language
|Germany’ oldest universities||The Leipzig University (1409), the Rostock University (1419) and the Greifswald University|
|Religion (2017)||As per the 2011 German Census, Christianity is the largest religion in Germany, claiming 66.8% of the total population|
|Ethnic groups||76.4% Germans
1.7% of Russians
|ISO 3166 code||DE|
|Internet TLD||.de and .eu|
Disadvantages of Studying in Germany
- Even if you know English and scored good marks in TOEFL, you need to learn German as well.
- Though you do not need to be fluent in German before coming to Germany, little knowledge of the language would be all right
- Also, the Visa process for doing Masters in Germany is slightly difficult and sometimes it takes more than 2 months post submitting all the documents to the embassy.
- If you are going to a public university in Germany, don’t expect a variety of student resources available on campus and rather you can join student organisation there to learn things.
Some Interesting Facts about Germany
- Germany has a population of more than 81 million.
- One-third of Germany’ land area is covered in forests and woodlands.
- Germany is also a member of the European Union.
- More than 65% of the highways in Germany have no upper speed limit.
- More than 2100 castles are located in Germany.
- There are more than 1,500 different beers in Germany.
- Germany is the seventh-largest country in Europe and covers an area of 137,847 square miles, of which 34,836 square miles is covered by land and 3,011 square miles contains water.
- Berlin has the largest train station in Europe and it is almost 9 times bigger than Paris and has more bridges as compared to Venice.
Q.1) What are the eligibility criteria to pursue Masters in Germany?
Ans: In order to do Masters in Germany, applicants must have a Four-year bachelor’s degree, a three-year bachelor’s or three-year bachelor’s from a recognized institution to complete their PG from Germany.
Q.2) Is the degree recognised outside Germany as well?
Ans: Yes, the degree earned in Germany is valid in India, US, UK and other nations in the world. Students completing master course from Germany can easily grab a good job opportunity at any place.
Q.3) What is the course duration?
Ans: For doing postgraduate studies, an MA or M.Sc. (Master of Arts / Master of Science) will take almost two-four semesters (one-two years) and the students doing a Ph.D. (Doctor of Philosophy) will take four-six semesters (two-three years).
Q.4) From where can I do my Internship in Germany?
Ans: There are various private and public colleges in Germany that offer various kinds of internship opportunities to international students. In case you have a work visa, you can apply for jobs in Germany.
Q.5) How can I apply to universities in Germany?
Ans: Since the admissions processes vary from institution to institution, the international students are advised to check the information given by your chosen university at the time of applying.
Q.6) Is Masters from German colleges valid in India?
Ans: Yes, the masters or Ph.D. degree is valid in India and everywhere else. The students can come to their home country and start doing jobs in any organisation.
Q.7) Where can I study in Germany?
Ans: There are more than 45 German universities that are currently featured in the QS World University Rankings which clearly indicates that you have a great option to select the best universities in the world.
Q.8) What is the mode of travel, cost, and time of travel?
Ans: The students can reach Germany by Airways. The international airport is well connected to many other countries and has a flight to Germany round the year. The time taken depends on the route taken by the international flight you choose.
Q.9) Is Indian food served in Germany colleges?
Ans: Yes, Indian food is served in the colleges and universities which are located in Germany. The tasty food items loved by the Indian students are easily accessible.
Why Consult Study Europe for Masters in Germany?
- Dependable and experienced consultant for admission abroad
- Team of experienced professionals to assist students looking for master from Germany
- Satisfactory counselling provided only by the trained counsellors
- Devoted executive to assist you through the complete admission process
- Help you in choosing the top educational institution in Germany for the desired master degree studies
- Support in applying for admission and visa application
- Help in looking for accommodation facilities
- Clarification to all the student queries
- Assistance provided even after the admission
- Air ticketing and arrange travel from Airport to the university campus
- Support till the course completion
Our Services at Study Europe
We at Study Europe a host of useful services with the core aim of helping Indian students pursue higher education abroad. We assist in seeking admission to the MBBS programme abroad and masters from Germany along with other nations.
We assist in the profiling work which is the mandatory part of the admission process. Our expert Visa assistance team help in study visa assistance. Financial guidance is provided as it is also one of the eligibility criteria. We make the process of university shortlisting for you hassle-free and make you choose the best masters in Germany institution.
Choosing Study Europe for Masters Abroad
Students in India interested in higher studies overseas can consult us anytime and get the required admission support services at an affordable consulting fee. We are available to assist you round the clock. For us, the satisfaction of our students and their parents is the prime objective.
Why sit back idle when you can write your own success story with the hard work and the firm determination to fulfil your dream of pursuing your Masters in Germany from a top college or university?
We are the one-stop destination in Delhi for the study abroad services. Study Europe services include visa assistance, travel assistance, and all admission related assistance so that students can easily get admission in undergraduate and postgraduate courses abroad.
Contact us right now for the counselling at Study Europe in Delhi!