When it comes to quality education, students do not leave any stone unturned. With so many and amazing universities in the world, Indian aspirants can apply for various courses in the top universities of the world. One such country known to impart top-quality education to its students along with affordable fee structure is none other than Georgia. Known to be one of the best countries to study in the world, Georgia houses several wonderful universities in Georgia holding worldwide recognition. The standard of education in Georgia is very high and in comparison to countries like the United States, Canada, the UK, and other European countries.
For every Indian student studying in Georgia is a matter of pride and one of the best countries to indulge in quality education in any chosen field of academic study from. The country is known for its world-class ranked universities, warm and welcoming inmates, and amazing and beautiful weather. For all the students who study in Georgia, they don’t only grow in their academic knowledge but the overall personality of the person is enhanced. You get to meet students from diverse backgrounds and countries that make you understand the various cultural traditions followed in the world. With Georgia, all your dreams of studying in a good university and get a successful future ahead come true.
Why Should You Study in Georgia?
Georgia is one of the best countries to study undergraduate and postgraduate programmes from owing to the positive atmosphere and the jubilant history the country has. These are the various considerable reasons as to why you should study in Georgia:
- The Wesleyan State in Macon is the first college to grant degrees to women back in the year 1836. Not only does the college hold a great reputation but the country laid the first foundations for women to engage in education.
- The admission process for an entrance into any university is very easy. Even the foreign students are provided with an admission letter in just a few days which is again very reliable for the students.
- The cost of living in the country is very economic. Even if the students wish to stay outside the college premises, they can manage their living expenses easily.
- Every year more than 10,000 students enter Georgian universities with the dreams to make it big in their career. This means that you can find people who are trying to adjust to the new environment.
- In case you want to stay in the country, you are granted citizenship after one year of marriage with any Georgian born citizen.
- Several educational service providers provide you with a full settlement package consisting of the ticket, insurance, hostel, and pick-up services.
- The students do not have to provide any English language proficiency certificate or exams like the TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) and IELTS (The International English Language Testing System).
- The tuition fee of Georgian universities is very low as compared to the private universities of India while offering you quality education and global infrastructure. Not only this but many of the Georgian universities are ranked in the top ranks in the QS World Ranking and other rankings.
- The hostel fee is very low and is affordable as well.
- The visa rejection chances are very low for the Indian students interested in studying from any Georgian educational institution.
- Georgia has one of the richest cultures and a fascinating history associated with it. The country is the gateway of the past, present, and future including everything from the Victorian small towns to the high-end cosmopolitan cities.
Key Advantages of Studying in Georgia
For students, there are ample advantages when it comes to studying in Georgian universities. That is why more than 10,000 international students travel to the country every year and indulge in the top-class education approach. The advantages of studying in Georgia include:
- The students do not have to appear for any English language proficiency language exam like the TOEFL or ILETS.
- Georgian universities are known for standard and quality education.
- Georgia has several world-class universities in its arcade attracting several international students.
- The environment of Georgia is very conducive and welcoming.
- Most of the medical universities in Georgia are recognized by MCI and WHO.
- Low tuition and hostel fees.
- Management and engineering colleges are government recognised and the degrees are valid worldwide.
- The medium of instruction for all the graduate and undergraduate programmes in English, a great prospect for international students.
- The country is known for its advanced teaching patterns which the country has adopted over the years.
- The Georgian universities engage students in theoretical knowledge hence developing skills that will lead them to a successful path in their careers.
- Easy and hassle-free admission processes.
- The faculty members are known for their knowledge and are amongst the reputed teachers in the USA.
Study Medicine in Georgia
For students who wish to study medicine in Georgia are provided with both undergraduate and postgraduate programmes in it. The medium of instruction for this course is English without any entrance exam requirement. The duration of the course is 6 years in the WHO and MCI approved universities.
The top medical universities for MD or Doctor of Medicine in Georgia are:
- Georgian American University
- University of Georgia
- East European University (EEU)
- European University (Formerly: European Teaching University)
- Tbilisi Medical Academy
- Geomedi Medical University
- Batumi Shota Rustaveli State University
- AIETI Medical School
- Akaki Tsereteli State University
- David Agmashenebeli University of Georgia
- David Tvildiani Medical University
- New Vision University,
- Georgia Tbilisi Medical Teaching University “Hippocrates”
- Caucasus International University
- Tbilisi State Medical University
- Teaching University Geomedi, Georgia
PG Specialization in Georgia
For students who want to opt for PG specialization in Georgia will be provided with an ultimate opportunity to pursue their career while walking the success ladder. The country is known for its postgraduate courses providing students with a lot of research opportunities. Any medical graduate is free to continue his/her further post-graduation studies for better career opportunities.
Bachelor of Engineering
In Georgia, students are provided with an opportunity to pursue engineering courses for their bachelor’s or associate’s degrees. There are more than 30 colleges offering research engineering technology programmes encouraging students to engage in a hands-on experience while studying.
Masters of Engineering
For students who have completed their bachelor’s in Engineering from Georgia or outside and wish to study their masters in Georgia can apply to the 14 Georgian universities along with the ABET-accredited engineering offering more than 4 engineering masters programmes.
MBA in Georgia
Studying management in Georgia is going to be the right decision for your career. You can enrol in the top 23 management schools of the country all of which are accredited with the standards of AACSB, AMBA, ACBSP, IACBE, and others. You can check for the eligibility criteria for the different universities and apply for the same.
Eligibility Criteria for Studying in Georgia
The following are the eligibility conditions for students who wish to study in Georgian universities:
- In case the student wants to grant an admission into bachelors programmes in Georgian universities, the candidate needs to have a copy of their international passport, the mark sheet for their 10+2 examinations from any recognized body of the country, 2 testimonials about the candidate stating the character of the candidate and that he/she holds a good reputation, the birth certificate of the candidate.
- In case the candidate wants admission into the Georgian universities into their master’s programme, they need to provide their bachelors’ certificate along with the university transcripts.
- In case the candidate wants admission into the Georgian universities for their Ph.D. programmes, they need to produce their bachelors’ certificate, their university transcripts, their master’s degree certificate and the thesis they submitted in their Masters study.
The following are the documents required for studying into various universities of Georgia:
- Birth certificate
- Testimonials and Letter of Recommendation (LOR)
- Passport-sized photographs
- A duly filled application form
- A copy of their passport
- All the academic transcripts
- Proof of nationality
- English language test scores if any
- A detailed description of any academic experience
Visa Requirements for Studying in Georgia
After the applicant receives an acceptance letter from the university, they have to apply for the student visa in any of the Georgian embassies in the country. Once they contact with the embassy, the professionals over there will fill up the embassy form along with all the required documents from the student and take a printout of the online form submission confirmation.
A complete file will be prepared by the Georgian embassy and submitted to the VFS Georgia, in New Delhi along with the following supporting documents mentioned under:
- original passport
- final acceptance or invitation letter
- covering letter or the statement of purpose
- photocopy of the academics and ILETS scorecard
- tuition fee receipt with 50% of the paid fee for the first year
- travel insurance for one year
- bank statement for the last 3 months and a balance certificate
- proof of accommodation in Georgia
- Air ticket
- Experience letter if any
After the form has been submitted for the approval of the student visa, the embassy will take 10-15 working days to decide on the visa application. Once the visa is approved and the student reaches Georgia, the student has to keep all the documents handy with him or her.
Admission Requirements for the Georgian Universities
The following are the admission requirements for any Georgian university:
- Identity document or proof
- Academic transcript of your previous studies
- University application form
- Letter of recommendation
- A summary about you and why you should be granted admission into the university
- English proficiency certificate if required by the programme
Intake of Students for Various Courses
Georgia is a popular study destination for both bachelor’s and master’s courses. The Georgian universities are known for indulging the foreign students in a quality education along with a stable future. That is why several students from around the world travel to Georgia and study their respective courses in the country. The different course has different intakes, the first academic year starts in September, application for which stops in August. The other academic year starts in February for which the application process is completed by January. The students are, however, advised to visit the university website to know about the deadlines for the application process.
How to Manage the Financials in Georgia
The tuition fee for all the courses in Georgia is low as compared to the private universities in India. However, there are various types of scholarships and assistantships available for students who are trying to manage their financial requirements. You can also seek help with an education loan from your home country. However, it is advised to students who wish to study in Georgia, to manage their financials and make necessary arrangements before commencing their education in Georgia.
Tuition Fees for the Various Courses in Georgia
The tuition fee for various courses in the Georgian universities differs from course to course. In general, the fees are very low as compared to the other private Indian universities and American or European Universities. This is what makes it one of the best options for people to study in Georgian universities especially for Indian students who wish to achieve their dreams outside the country but cannot afford the high-end prices for education. Not only this, but the living costs in the country are low too, making it easy for you to sustain and study in Georgia.
The following is the approximate tuition fee approximation for various courses in the Georgian universities:
- Banking: USD 4000
- Information technology: USD 4000
- Civil engineering: USD 3200
- Hotel management: USD 4000
- Aviation: USD 3500
- Computer science: USD 4000
- Medicine: USD 4000
- Nursing: USD 4200
- Economics: USD 3000
- Maritime: USD 3500
- Business or management: USD 4000
- Travel or tourism: USD 3000
Cost of Living in Georgia
Georgia is a very simple and elegant place that doesn’t charge a lot of living expenses when it comes to food, travel, and accommodation. The state has reasonable home prices and low rents, however, the city you choose for a living will play an important role in determining the true living costs of a person. The cost of living is very low in Tbilisi. The cost of food and transportation will be around 100 to 200 USD per month. The actual living cost also depends upon the lifestyle you choose to enjoy. Students from India prefer affordable living in the country while pursuing different courses.
The Application Process for Studying in Georgia
The place offers a simple and hassle-free process for applying to the Georgian universities; however, the following is the stepwise manner that will make it easier for students to engage in a stress-free and easy application process.
The following is the application process for studying in Georgia:
- The first step for application is to read about the different programmes and universities and see which one of them is best suited or you. Once you have chosen the programme, you now need to know the right university for it.
- Since you are a foreign applicant, you need to contact the university international office, so that you know the deadlines of the application and what all is required to fill in the application form. You need to be sure that you fill in the application form before the deadline so that you save yourself from the last-minute errors.
- Once you have filled in the application form and send it properly to the university office, you now have to wait for them to revert to your application. It is better that you give you the English language proficiency exam in this time duration even if it is not asked for future reference purposes.
- Once your application has been approved, you will be required to send a copy of your passport and pay 50% of the first-year tuition fee as well.
- After this, you need to contact the visa office, so that you are provided with your visa on time. The visa generally takes 10-15 days to clear. After this, all you have to do is waiting for your flight and start with your career in Georgia.
Part-Time Jobs in Georgia for International Students
It is practically impossible for students to work while studying in Georgia since the course curriculum is tedious. However, the students are told by many education agents that they can work part-time while studying their course curriculum. This is not just for foreign nationals but even the residents are not able to keep up with the studies and work. Rest depends on the person and skills. The part time working options are available for the students capable of managing studies along with the part-time work.
Better to Learn the Georgian Language Before Going to Georgia
If you are planning of going for higher studies in Georgia, then it will be great if you know how to speak Georgian, the official language of Georgia. This will make it easy for you to communicate with the locals and even in the job market.
Scholarships in Georgia for Students
Scholarships are provided for higher education to students based on their academic achievements. However, there are several scholarships available for Georgian students, but for foreign nationals, you need to check with the university about the scheme.
Indian Students in Georgia
For most of the Indian students who wish to study abroad, their dreams are shattered due to the shortage of funds. With Georgia, you can afford your dream while taking advantage of studying at a world-class university with a global infrastructure. Several Indian students travel to the country for various courses and programme to indulge in quality education.
Disadvantages of studying in Georgia
The following are some disadvantages of studying in Georgia:
- Students can experience the language barrier owing to the new language and the fact that the culture of the place is different from your home country. For students who are fluent in English, can go with the country easily.
- For major Indian students, homesickness is one of the most prevalent issues, making them feel a little distant to their culture and country.
The following are some facts about Georgia
- Capital: Tbilisi
- Population: 3,723,500
- Currency: Georgian Lari (GEL)
- Official Language: Georgian
- Listed Universities: 85
- Ranked Universities: 56
- Country Rank (2018): 108
- Country Calling Code: + 995
- Time Zone: UTC + 4
Some Interesting Facts About Georgia
The following are some interesting facts about Georgia:
- Georgia was founded by the British Member of Parliament as an offender colony for prisoners who hadn’t paid the debt. They wanted to give a second chance to these prisoners.
- There is a tree in Athens that owns itself and an 8-foot radius of land. The tree blew up in the 40s but was again restored from the original acorn.
- Georgia is known as the Peach State as the country is the top producer of pecans, peanuts, and Vidalia onions.
- Georgia also houses the largest drive-in restaurant found in Atlanta. It can fit a total of 600 vehicles.